Thursday, April 2, 2015

ISTE Standards for Teachers



The International Society for Technology in Education Standards for Teachers provide a basis for how teachers should strive to use technology to create a collaborative environment where students take ownership for their learning. It is striking to compare these standards to those that have been shaped as a result of the Common Core Standards. Many teachers feel obligated to plan and guide instruction related to State or Common Core Standards with complete fidelity. Such fidelity leaves minimal room for the creativity described in the ISTE Standards for Teachers.

According to the ISTE Standards for Teachers, educators should “Facilitate and inspire student learning and creativity.” Students should be exposed to “real-world issues and solve authentic problems using digital tools and resources.” Additionally, students should have the opportunity to engage in learning collaboratively, in both face-to-face and virtual environments.

When I reflect on how my current classroom practices would rate according to these standards, I think about the independent projects that I have challenged my students to engage in this school year. With the projects I have assigned, I have given somewhat open-ended questions for my class to research. For example, I have assigned Wonders LibGuides projects to my students and given them the opportunity to collaborate on the projects and share with their peers.

One thing that would make the learning even more meaningful is for students to come up with their own ideas for research projects. Student ideas could still connect with the curriculum Essential Question, but they could have some freedom in choosing research that is meaningful to their learning. Students could also assist in creating physical or virtual audience members that could give feedback and continue the collaboration.

As I have implemented projects where my students have had more freedom, I have definitely felt less comfortable. I have worried that I am losing control with my students. But ultimately, isn’t that what my job is…to gradually disappear into the background, and allow my students to shine and take control as they learn to become productive and responsible citizens?

4 comments:

  1. Charissa you are making amazing uses of technology with your students! Of course you will feel less comfortable when implementing new teaching strategies, especially as you empower students to create! How can we include ISTE within the prescribed curriculum?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, i like your analysis of the standards and how you fit them with your teaching and classroom. I suppose that teachers should be more understandable of it and it should be developed more and more. Read the website for Common Core, i will not be surprised that one day the digital kind of thing would develop a few pages of that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, i like your analysis of the standards and how you fit them with your teaching and classroom. I suppose that teachers should be more understandable of it and it should be developed more and more. Read the website for Common Core, i will not be surprised that one day the digital kind of thing would develop a few pages of that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is natural for us to feel as if we are losing control when we give our students more control, but we are doing them a favor and it is a great time of the year to do so!

    ReplyDelete