Monday, April 20, 2015

How-to Writing Unit with Technology Integration

For our next unit in writing, the Second Graders learn to write a "How-to." Normally at the beginning of this unit, students spend time dialoguing with peers about things they know how to do before choosing their topic. We discuss things that they can make (crafts, pictures), things that they can do (sports, tie a shoe), and foods they know how to prepare (PB&J, hot chocolate). This year, I plan to have students actually bring an object in to demonstrate their how-to.

For my model how-to, I use a shamrock craft to demonstrate. Students have the opportunity to make the craft on one day. After having the experience of making the craft, the class helps me plan and write my how-to. I experimented with Popplet, Lucidchart Diagram, Inspiration, and Pictochart.com, and finally chose to have my second graders try Popplet to create a graphic organizer. In previous years, students have used a pencil and paper to draw each step and write bulleted lists of the directions. This year, I will have students use a similar method, but on Popplet.

I like Popplet for a few reasons. First, it is very easy to create individual student accounts. One thing that I have found in using technology to enhance my teaching is that students often need more time than they would have in just one period of work and it is ideal for students to be able to save their work if possible. I plan to have my students create their own accounts using their lps.org email and their district password. I also like Popplet because of how easy it is to navigate. Students only have to double click to create a new Popplet. There are also editing options at the bottom of each Popplet. They allow you to change the color, add text, draw free hand, and insert pictures into a Popplet. For my students' purposes, I plan to have them freehand sketches for each step and then add notes to the graphic organizer.

In their research, Bogard and McMackin (2012) discuss several ways that technology can enrich student writing. The use of technology allows for natural collaboration while planning, writing, and editing a project. According to their work, collaboration throughout the writing process pushes students to think about their work critically and get authentic peer feedback. In this way, students are constantly polishing their work to create their best product. Because I am having my students bring objects in to demonstrate their how-to, it will be natural for them to use technology to create a video of themselves using my iPad or iPod. Because I only have two devices in my room, I needed a way to store my students' work in the cloud, rather than on devices. I ended up using http://freeflowapp.com/ to film videos, then we could access the videos from any device, as long as we were logged into my account. This worked out wonderfully. It gave students several different opportunities to collaborate throughout the process and it scaffolded those that needed further support.

Bogard and McMackin also demonstrate the power of publishing using technology. In the past, I have used Storyjumper for this purpose. Since it's the time of year for NESA, I knew that I would not have much availability in trying to check out the laptop cart during writing. I ended up deciding to publish writing by creating videos. Puppet EDU was perfect for this. Students created their videos with the help of a partner and we organized the links from Puppet EDU on this Symbaloo.

The really exciting part of organizing the videos in a Symbaloo was the many opportunities for feedback that it gave. At Campbell's Technology night, parents and students were invited to my classroom to view videos and use sticky notes to provide feedback after watching. They attached the sticky notes to the correct "How-to" book. The buzz in my classroom the next morning was priceless. My students were so excited to read the feedback from the many people that had visited our room. Our class also got to share "live" with a group of 4th graders the next day. The joy of watching student collaboration in action was priceless! This has by far been my favorite technology integration of the year! I plan to try something similar with each writing unit!



7 comments:

  1. I really like Popplet too! I like the idea of having the students use their lps email account and district password. Thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have enjoyed using Popplet! I think it connects well for pre-writing. I also only have one ipad, so I can relate. You gave me an idea to perhaps use the ipad at the writing center, so students can create a popplet. What a neat idea to have students bring in their objects. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I might have to try this next year with my 2nd grade class. How To's are so much fun to teach!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like Popplet is a great app for writing. I will have to try it. I agree that it always takes more time than you think it's going to so being able to save it is important!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought about using Symbaloo as a storage place for student work--what a great idea! This is definitely something I will keep in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great project! The opportunity for sharing with parents and getting their feedback is so important. Thanks for sharing your great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the technology night for sharing. Is that a school wide event or did you plan that on your own? Did all students put out an item to share or was that "optional"? I have used popplet but with the free app you are somewhat limited. I assume you did upgrade to the premium level? There are so many apps out there to try out but I seem to like it for one project and then try something new and forget to go back to the old ones.

    ReplyDelete